Are your clean clothes irritating your skin?
To prevent skin irritations from occurring, those with sensitive skin not only have to use the right detergent but should also be aware of how they launder their clothing. The dyes and fragrances that are in certain laundry soaps can trigger an allergic reaction, causing a person’s skin to become red, dry, and itchy.
A simple solution for that is to use dye- and perfume-free products. Another way to avoid laundry-related skin allergies is by following a few of these tips:
- Wash new clothing – Even if the clothes you buy are new and have never been worn, the chemicals that are used to dye the fabric and put finishes on the yarn before being processed through spinning equipment are known to irritate skin. Plus, you never know who tried on the clothing before you bought it.
- Avoid over-soaping – Using too much detergent not only bothers your skin, but it also leaves a residue on your clothing, which means your garments aren’t being properly washed. Always use the correct amount of detergent recommended for your machine.
- Don’t overload your washer – In order for the laundry detergent to dissolve correctly so that your clothing gets thoroughly cleaned, avoid putting too many items in your washing machine.
- Buy the right detergent – To help lessen skin irritations and keep you from feeling like you need to rinse your laundry more than once, try a hypoallergenic, clean-rinsing detergent. Running your clothes through a second rinse cycle takes more time, wastes water, and increases your water and electric costs.
- Clean your equipment – Your washer and dryer encounter a lot of germs and bacteria, and if not properly cleaned and maintained, could begin to grow mold and smell. To keep your appliances in tip-top shape, regularly clean the inside of your washer and dryer.
Living with skin allergies can be difficult, but with these tips, you can find a laundry method that works for you.
If you need the convenience of a washer and dryer in your home without the high upfront cost, see how fast, easy, and affordable it is to lease from Appliance Warehouse.